After Thanksgiving Cranberry Bars
(as seen on the Morning Blend Segment 12-3-12)
Yield: 1- 9 x 13 pan
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Scant 1/4 teaspoon each of nutmeg, cloves, and ginger
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup cooked yams, sweet potatoes, or mashed potatoes
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups who cranberry sauce (1 – 14 ounce can)
1 cup oats
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 tablespoons butter, softened (1/2 stick)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
1. Combine flour, baking soda, salt cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Set aside.
2. Cream sugar and butter until well combined. Add yams or potatoes and vanilla to the cream mixture and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Scrape down bowl and beat on high speed until light and fluffy. About 4 minutes.
3. Gradually add dry ingredients to potato mixture. Mix on low speed, just until blended. Scraping down bowl as needed. You may need to incorporate last remaining flour by hand.
4. Spread batter in prepared pan, using your hands if necessary to even it out.
5. Spoon and evenly distribute cranberry sauce over batter.
6. Make topping by combining oats, brown sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon in a bowl. Rub in butter with fingertips until mixture becomes crumbly. Sprinkle the topping over the cranberries.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until top is lightly browned.